Monday, January 23, 2012

"c" is for crazy--or how to make your own "goldfish"



i have a very dear friend (i won't name names but she knows who she is!) who is starting to go "au naturel" when it comes to food--and is trying to take me down with her get me to see the value of her ways.  so when she told me she was making her own "goldfish" crackers, i told her she was crazy--and then decided i had to try it out. 

here's what you need: 8oz of cheddar cheese, shredded; 4 tbsp butter, cubed; 1 cup flour (i used white whole wheat), 3/4 tsp salt (i will cut this down next time b/c i thought they were kind of salty), 2 tbsp cold water; 350 degree (anyone want to tell me how i can type in that circle thingy to indicate "degrees"??) oven

here's what you do: pulse everything but the water together in a food processor until it looks like (coarse) sand; pulse in the water 1 tbsp at a time; remove the dough from the food processor and wrap it in plastic wrap (or press and seal which is what i used) and chill in the fridge for 20 mins; roll it out and cut it into shapes using whatever (mini) cookie cutters you have and place the shapes on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  bake for about 15 mins or until crispy.

they are incredibly easy (but the cutting is time consuming)!  i will admit that my dad (usually my biggest fan) said "they don't" in response to my "they're supposed to taste like goldfish crackers"--but i thought they were pretty good and my most important critics (M and B) liked them so i considered them a success!   

i'm also not ready to completely cross out "goldfish crackers" from my grocery list...;)  but i will try them again--but i'll lessen the salt and i'll try to make them thinner next time. 

happy lunching!

No comments:

Post a Comment